Burslem

BURSLEM AREA

Burslem, one of the six towns which make up the city of Stoke-on-Trent. It includes the areas Middleport, Longport, Westport, Dalehall, Trubshaw Cross and Brownhills. Burslem is often referred to as the ‘Mother Town’, due to its important role in the rise of the pottery industry. 

Burslem
Ivy House, published in The Art Journal, 1864

The town was recorded in the Domesday survey as 'wasteland' but it is located on natural deposits of ironstone, clay, and coal - the essential raw materials for making pottery. By the end of the 17th century, Burslem was the country's leading supplier of pottery.

In 1710 there were 35 potbanks in Burslem, and it was very much a town, compared with Hanley and Stoke which were still villages. Leading potters began building houses and potbanks which reflected their prestige. Most notable was the Big House, built by the brothers Thomas and John Wedgwood in 1751 on the corner of Wedgwood Street and Chapel Bank. Most spectacular was the Fountain Place Works built for Enoch Wood in 1789, a gothic extravaganza between Hall Street and Packhorse Lane. During the 19th century, Burslem continued to grow as more potbanks were built.

Bottle ovens still standing? Page down or click here>

BOTTLE OVENS LONG SINCE GONE


A View of The Potteries at Burslem 
Postcard Source: unknown


Burslem
Alcock Lindley and Bloore
Ascot Pottery, on the corner of Overhouse Street and Scotia Road.
Established in 1919. Acquired by Allied English Pottery Group in 1959
Mainly produced teapots
Photo: source unknown    Date: 1950

Burslem
Bottle oven at Crown Works in Steventon Place
in the centre of the photo
Photo by Sid Meir, courtesy Ian Mood Date: c1970

Burslem
Crown Works on the right behind the New Inn
and on the left is Royal Pottery (Hill Pottery)
from Market Square
Photo: unknown source Date: 1900

Burslem
Crown Works, Steventon Place
Photo: Terry Woolliscroft Collection
Date: Operation Bottle, February 1976 more here>

Burslem
Crown Works, Steventon Place. 
The plan didn't come to fruition and the oven disappeared
Article: courtesy The Evening Sentinel  Date: 1980

Burslem
Steventon Place, J. Steventon and Sons Pottery
Bottle ovens and mineral stores.
Photo: Bert Bentley  Date: 1960s

Burslem
Pack Horse Lane.  The old road to Newcastle-under-Lyme.
Photo: unknown source  Date: Unknown


Bottle ovens, 'stack' type, at the Dalehall Works, Nr. Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent.
Burslem - Dalehall
Bottle ovens, 'stack' type, at the Dalehall Works
Photo: Courtesy Staffordshire Past Track 

Burslem
Wade Heath, The Sytch, back view
Photo: source unknown  Date: unknown


Burslem - Middleport
A J Wilkinson Ltd
Wilkinson’s Pottery (Clarice Cliff)
Shot taken from the window of the showroom showing the turret
over the lodge and some ovens
Photo: The Sphere Magazine, Daily Herald Archive  Date: 1930-35


Burslem
Acme Marls, Bournes Bank
The oven on the left has now gone but the three ovens on the right remain
and were still in use in 1976 fired with oil
Photo: Terry Woolliscroft Collection  Date: May 1975

Burslem
Acme Marls, Bournes Bank with St John's Churchyard
Photo: source unknown Date: around 1960

Burslem
Acme Marls, Bournes Bank
The 3 perfectly conical ovens remain standing (2019)
Photo: source unknown  Date: around 1960


Burslem - Cobridge 
Moorcroft, Sandbach Road 
The two glost ovens on the left were demolished in 1956
The biscuit oven on the right still stands and open to the public
https://www.moorcroft.com/museum


Burslem - Cobridge
Moorcroft, Sandbach Road


Burslem - Cobridge
A G Richardson & Co Ltd, Britannia Works, North Road
Crown Ducal  
Photo: Bert Bentley  Date: 1960s


Burslem - Cobridge 
Globe Pottery with Little Sisters of the Poor behind.
Far distance is Shelton Bar (now Festival Park)
Photo: source unknown. Date: unknown

Looking towards Cobridge from Hanley
Little Sisters of the Poor, on the hill
Photo: source unknown. Date: unknown

Burslem -from Middleport
Photo: source unknown Date: unknown

Bottle Ovens Burslem Top of Scotia Rd unknown date
Burslem
At the top of Scotia Road
Photo: source unknown  Date: unknown

Burslem
Location unknown
Photo: source unknown Date: 1930s

Burslem - Middleport 
Middleport Pottery -  Burleigh Factory
Smoke from the oven firing
Photo: source unknown  Date: unknown


Burslem - Middleport
Burgess and Leigh, Burleigh Ware Factory
Photo: source unknown  Date: 1950s


Burslem - Middleport
Middleport Pottery from the air
Photo: source unknown  Date: unknown, maybe 1940s


Burslem - Longport/Trubshaw Cross
Prices  National Teapots Top Bridge Works  
Bottle oven on left of the two has been demolished
Photo: source unknown but maybe Bert Bentley
Date: April 1964  

Burslem - Longport
Prices National Teapots, Top Bridge Works
Trubshaw Cross
Bottle oven on left of the two has been demolished
Photo: source unknown  Date: mid 1960s



Burslem
Wood's Trent New Works
Photo: source unknown  Date: unknown

Burslem
Sneyd pipe works
Near the loop line railway bridge, just off Hot Lane.
Photo: Bert Bentley  Date: 1960s


BOTTLE OVENS and KILNS STILL STANDING, COMPLETE WITH THEIR CHIMNEYS


Moorland Pottery, Moorland Road     
[1a] Location* : what3words.com/items.beyond.corn

This Victorian factory, called the Chelsea Works, boasts the only surviving 4-chambered muffle kiln in the world. It has been used to fire tiles and decorated pottery.




The potbank is now renowned for producing regionally-themed mugs, coasters and tea pots. It specialises in 'Stokie Ware' for the local area.




The muffle kiln was surveyed in 1975/6 as part 'OPERATION BOTTLE', the survey of the remaining bottle ovens of the Potteries. (More here)  At the time, the factory was operated by Mr. Joseph Szeiler, a Hungarian, who bought the works in May 1973 for £7000. His 'Studio Szeiler' produced tableware and giftware but specialised in animal figures which were modelled by himself.

Mr. Szeiler died in 1980 and in 1986 the current owners, Jonathan Plant and Adrian Tinsley, bought the factory as a going concern. In 1989 they changed the name to Moorland Pottery. https://www.moorlandpottery.co.uk/about-us.html

SUSIE COOPER
Susie Cooper, the renowned ceramic designer, moved to this Chelsea Works in March 1930, and decorated bought-in white ware from Doulton, Grimwades, WH Grindley, and Wood and Sons.



Her production reflected the tastes of the times with bright florals, and geometric and modernist designs in bold hand painted colours.  She would have used this muffle kiln to fire her decorated pottery. The fireman was Jack Shufflebotham. She moved to a bigger factory, not far away, in August 1931.

MORE ABOUT THE KILN
Chelsea Works boasts the only surviving 4-chambered (2 up, 2 down) muffle kiln. One of two originally on the site.

In a deed dated 1st January 1930, "land and decorating works known as Chelsea Pottery in Moorland Road" was leased by Doulton & Co Ltd to Albert Edward Beeson, Susan Vera Cooper and Albert Goodwin Richardson, trading in co-partnership as "Susie Cooper Pottery".

The deed described the kiln as "a pair of four-mouth, double-deck kilns which had originally been designed for firing tiles, and the lessor (Doulton) agreed to "alter both bottom kilns to make them suitable for enamel firing, it being recognised by the lessees that there will inevitably be a small difference in temperature between the top and bottom heats, one of such kilns to be altered before the signing hereof and one kiln to be altered after the commencement of the term hereby granted, the decision as to whether such alteration has been satisfactorily carried out to be left to the arbitration of Mr Bernard Moore, whose decision shall be final conclusive and binding on all parties."

The kiln was therefore built sometime before 1930. It is technically complex with a latticework of flues emanating from eight firemouths (only four currently visible) carrying the hot gases from the blazing coal to the muffled firing chambers. The firemouths are of the 'hob mouthed' type.

The firing chambers were built using specially shaped, refractory bricks manufactured in Scotland. These bricks, with their 'THISTLE' branding impressed into the clay, were manufactured by Stein, at their Castlecary Fireclay Works, Castlecary, North Lanarkshire.

Thistle brand bricks
Specially shaped bricks used in construction of the firing chambers
Photo: Terry Woolliscroft Collection  Date: July 2019

These technically-advanced silicon carbide refractory muffle bricks gave much better heat transfer and longer life than the usual fireclay blocks. The bricks were produced with 'tongue and groove' moulding on their edges to assist in construction and to help maintain clean air conditions within the muffle chambers.
Many thanks go to Mark Cranston of scottishbrickhistory.co.uk for information about the Thistle bricks

Burslem
Moorland Pottery, Chelsea Works
Photo: Terry Woolliscroft Collection  Date: May 2019

Burslem
Moorland Pottery, Chelsea Works
L: the kiln from the yard
R: inside one of the four firing chambers
Photo: Terry Woolliscroft Collection  Date: July 2019

Birds eye view of the yard
Created for Ceramic Heritage Action Zone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMt5RcxI3XU&feature=emb_logo
Date: 2019



Middleport Pottery, Burgess and Leigh, Port Street   
[5a] Location* : what3words.com/highs.puppy.belt

Middleport Pottery was built in 1888 by Burgess & Leigh Ltd., its founders were Frederick Rathbone Burgess and William Leigh. At the time of its construction the factory was described as a “model pottery" of the Staffordshire pottery industry. It was designed to make all production processes more efficient and to improve conditions for the workforce. Finished pottery was loaded (using the crane next to the packing house) straight onto barges on the Trent and Mersey Canal to take the pots north, to the coast, for export. The pottery still manufactures Burleigh Ware. https://www.middleportpottery.org/  Now owned by UK Historic Buildings Preservation Trust renamed 'Re-form' in 2018.

Middleport, Burslem 
Middleport Pottery, home of Burgess and Leigh 
Photos: Terry Woolliscroft Collection Date: December 2015

Burslem
Middleport Pottery Bottle Oven
Photo: Terry Woolliscroft Collection  Date:  Aug 2019

The large freestanding updraught hovel oven is believed to have been built in 1888, when the factory was built. One of 7 (maybe 9) originally on the site. This is a biscuit oven with 11 firemouths in its firing chamber of 18'6' internal diameter. According to Zoe Sutherland (Ceramic Heritage Action Zone Project Officer, Stoke-on-Trent City Council, 2021) the oven has more firemouths than any other remaining oven ion the Potteries. The last time it was fired was is in 1964, just before the deadline for the Clean Air Act.


Furlong Mills, Furlong Lane  
[3a,b] Location* : what3words.com/clip.magic.react

"Established in 1842, enlarged in 1913, Furlong Mills Ltd., has become one the UK’s leading mineral processing companies. Sustained through a continuous investment programme in people, plant and machinery the company is able to meet the current and future demands of the ceramic industry." Furlong Lane, Burslem, ST6 3LE. https://www.furlongmills.co.uk/
Burslem 
Furlong Mills, Furlong Lane 
Flint calcining kilns 
Photo by Sid Meir, courtesy Ian Mood   Date: c1970

Two flint calcining kilns complete with their chimneys still stand (in 2020). In 1975 the kilns were surveyed under "Operation Bottle". These are some of the findings.

"These particular ones are certainly over 60 years old [in 1975] but we were unable to find anyone who knew the actual date of construction. Since they were built they have undergone two modifications. Firstly there has been an extension to the stack which we understand was originally some 12 feet lower. This may have been partly connected with a change of fuel from coal to coke but more likely was undertaken purely for social reasons. This work was carried out shortly after the First World War. Originally the upper loading doors were much smaller and these have been considerably widened to allow for more mechanical loading.

The [kilns] are in constant use and at the time we called we were able to see one which was being unloaded having completed its cycle whilst the other was firing. As previously mentioned these now work on coke which is mixed with the flints. It is believed that at present the coke originates from Shelton. When fully loaded each of these kilns takes 33 tons of flint and it takes 15 cwt of coke to fire this with a little bit of wood being used for the initial firing. Also during firing a steady draught through the firemouths is maintained by a blower regulated to give a slightly reduced draught during the initial lighting period.

Furlong Mills bottle kiln cross section
Photo: courtesy Furlong Mills  Date received:  Aug 2019

It takes 39 hours to fire a full charge and firing commences at 5.00 pm on Day 1 and firing ceases and unloading begins at 8.00am on Day 3. The temperature during firing is about 950c."

The kilns stand 42 feet high, well below the minimum 60 feet specified by the regulations of 1877.

Burslem 
Furlong Mills, Furlong Lane 
Flint calcining kilns 
Photo by Sid Meir, courtesy Ian Mood  Date: c1970

Burslem
Furlong Mills, Furlong Lane
Flint calcining kilns
Photo: courtesy Andy Perkin, Potteries Heritage Society  Date: July 2019

Burslem
Furlong Mills, Furlong Lane
Photo: Courtesy of Philip Shallcross Collection  Date: Aug 2019



Acme Marls, Bournes Bank  
[2a,b,c] Location* : what3words.com/brief.descended.terms

Unique in the Potteries, and probably in the world, these are three Wilkinson-type downdraught bottle ovens. Originally built in about 1900, though present structures are 1937-47. Freestanding circular chimneys to downdraught ovens. Originally surrounded by buildings and workshops. 

According to Zoe Sutherland in 2021 (Ceramic Heritage Action Zone Project Officer, Stoke-on-Trent City Council) the remaining bottle ovens here could be candidates for the newest ovens in the Potteries. The southernmost oven at Bournes Bank was built at some point between 1950 and 1963

This type of downdraught bottle oven was patented in 1890
A J WILKINSON DOWNDRAUGHT OVEN
Ovens for Firing Pottery 
A J Wilkinson, Burslem 
English Patent 4356,  March 20th 1890 
Type of bottle oven. Downdraught. Integral chimney.


Downdraught bottle oven with integral chimney
Wilkinson Patent type as those at
Acme marls, Bournes Bank Burslem
Drawing: Terry Woolliscroft Collection



In July 2000, J & J Dyson PLC of Sheffield, acquired the entire issued share capital of Acme Marls Limited, the then privately owned kiln furniture manufacturing company, for £1.89 million. Acme Marls became part of Dyson's Thermal Technologies division.


Acme Marls, Bournes Bank
Source: unknown  Date: 2000


In 2018 the entire site was purchased and planning permission was sought to build housing and community facilities. 

In July 2020 planning permission was given for the site to be developed for housing provided that the three bottle ovens were restored. Stoke-on-Trent City Council gave the green light to the proposals to build 43 propertie. The development, includes the three rare bottle kilns, known as the Three Sisters, which will be repaired and restored as part of the proposals. "The scheme will help fund the conservation and preservation of the Grade II-listed ‘Three Sisters’ bottle kilns. The applicant has provided details of works proposed to the kilns and will also create a management company and provide it with an annual dowry to manage and maintain the kilns. A service charge will be raised, similar to an annual ground rent, to help supplement the dowry to help towards future costs of conservation of the kilns and common area. For a two-bedroom property, it’s likely to be £125 per annum, and for a three-bedroom property £150 per annum."

UPDATE: By July 2021 no work on the development had been made.
Burslem
Acme Marls, Bournes Bank, with St.Johns Church
Photo by Sid Meir, courtesy Ian Mood  Date: c1970

Burslem
Acme Marls, Bournes Bank
Photo: unknown source   Date: unknown
These stack type Wilkinson downdraught bottle ovens were numbered 6, 7 and 8.
Patented by A J Wilkinson. British Patent 4356, 20 March 1890.
They were oil fired, and last fired in July/August 1976 more here>

Operation Bottle, Bottle Oven Survey  Date:1975
Burslem
Formerly Acme Marls, Bournes Bank
Photo: Operation Bottle, Bottle Oven Survey,
Terry Woolliscroft Collection   Date:1975

Burslem
Formerly Acme Marls,  Bournes Bank
Photos: Terry Woolliscroft Collection  Date: December 2015

Burslem
Formerly Acme Marls, Bournes Bank
Photos: Terry Woolliscroft Collection   Date: July 1976


Burslem
Formerly Acme Marls, Bournes Bank
Photos: Courtesy of Andy Shardlow  Date: June 2016

Burslem
Formerly Acme Marls, Bournes Bank
Photos: Courtesy of Andy Shardlow  Date: June 2016

Burslem
Downdraught ovens at Bournes Bank
Formerly Acme Marls Ltd. 
Photo: Courtesy of Philip Shallcross Collection  Date: Feb 2019

Burslem
Downdraught bottle ovens at Bournes Bank
Formerly Acme Marls Ltd.
Photo: Courtesy of Dave Proudlove @fslconsult Date: 2018
Burslem
Downdraught bottle ovens at Bournes Bank
Formerly Acme Marls Ltd
Photo: source unknown Date: unknown



Products from Acme Marls Ltd

Six bottle ovens were known to have existed on the site. The remaining three were fired using oil as their fuel (converted after the Clean Air Act of 1956). The last time one was fired was in 1977, when the factory was owned by Acme Marls Ltd. The final temperature reached was around 1400C - much higher than for domestic pottery.

The products being fired were refractory 'bats' or kiln furniture, used in the ceramics industry - refractory shelving for use in modern tunnel or intermittent kilns. 

Oven 'No.7' was fired in October 1977 before manufacture was transferred to its new site at Scotia Road, Tunstall. A ceremonial flaming torch was taken from the fire in oven No.7 to the new gas kiln at the new site.

The YouTube movie below shows the penultimate commercial bottle oven firing in the Potteries.  It took place in the summer of 1976. This small selection of photos was taken at the event.

Acme Marls, Burslem July/August 1976
Final temperature of close-on 1400C has been reached
Thermocouple and block removed from the top of the clammins
and the crown damper cracked open
photos: Terry Woolliscroft Collection  more here








Price & Kensington, Newcastle Street, Longport   
[4a] Location* : what3words.com/slide.groups.super

Earthenware manufacturer at the Top Bridge Pottery, Longport, Burslem. Company founded in January 1962 from an amalgamation of Price Bros. (Burslem) Ltd and Kensington Pottery Ltd. Manufacturing ceased 2002.  http://thepotteries.org/photos/price/index.htm  Price & Kensington, along with the Spode factory in Stoke, is the earliest surviving example of a fire proofed building construction in the pottery industry. The remaining bottle oven is a freestanding, updraught hovel oven.

According to Zoe Sutherland (Ceramic Heritage Action Zone Project Officer, Stoke-on-Trent City Council, 2021) the remaining bottle oven at Price & Kensington could be the oldest in the Potteries. "Certainly a bottle oven is shown in this location on Hargreaves' 1832 map although it may well have been rebuilt wholly or in part." (August 2021)

This remaining bottle oven (the one on the right in the image below) was restored in the early 2000s. Credit for its restoration goes to the Potteries Preservation Trust which the Potteries Heritage Society established in the 1990s. Funds were secured for the restoring this oven and nine others in the Potteries from the UK's National Lottery Heritage Fund, and Staffordshire Environmental Fund. The work was completed around 2003.



Text from the sign erected by Potteries Preservation Trust:
TOP BRIDGE WORKS SITE
"Grade II* listed pottery bottle oven. This is of the basic updraught type, built about 1830 and last fired in the early 1960s. An Ordnance Survey map of 1878 shows it to have been one of seven bottle ovens here. 

The space between the outer hovel and the inner kiln provided room for coal, for the firemen to work protected from weather and ensured a good draught for the fire.

After completion of the adjacent Trent & Mersey Canal in 1777 Edward Bourne's was the first recorded pottery here in 1783. By 1851 the much enlarged site had been acquired by the Davenport family who were described as being 'the largest earthenware and china manufacturers and exporters in the kingdom' and were granted a Royal Appointment. In the mid 1930s the nearby firm of Arthur Wood & Son expanded to acquire Price Brothers on this site and transferred to it the Kensington Pottery from Hanley. The works then became well known as Price & Kensington." 

Burslem - Longport
Price & Kensington Factory - Newcastle Street
The oven on the left no longer exists
Photo by Sid Meir, courtesy Ian Mood  Date: c1970

Price & Kensington Factory - Newcastle Street, Longport 1975
Burslem - Longport
Price & Kensington Factory - Newcastle Street
Photo: Terry Woolliscroft Collection  Date: 1975

Burslem - Longport
Price & Kensington Factory - Newcastle Street, Longport
Photo: Terry Woolliscroft Collection  Date: Sept 2018

Burslem - Longport
Price & Kensington Factory - Newcastle Street, Longport
Photo: Courtesy of Philip Shallcross Collection  Date: March 2019




Oliver's Mill, Newport Lane  
[7a,b] Location* : what3words.com/solve.tester.pencil

The site encompasses a range of buildings including the original mill, two bottle kilns (the rectangular-shaped kiln has two chambers) and stores. 

The kilns were adopted on a 99 year lease by The Staffordshire Pottery Industry Preservation Trust. The site is located at the end of Newport Lane in Middleport, approximately 1.5 miles west of Burslem town centre. The site lies adjacent to Canal Court, a development of waterside apartments. on the banks of the Trent & Mersey canal. The kilns were used for firing flint (prior to grinding and milling) which was added to the clay recipe to give better whiteness and strength.

Burslem - Middleport
Oliver's Mill, Newport Lane
Photo: source unknown  Date: unknown

Burslem - Middleport
Olivers's Mill, Newport Lane
Photo: unknown source  Date: 1960s

Burslem - Middleport
Oliver's Mill, Newport Lane
Photo: Julian Read Collection  Date: April 2017

Burslem - Middleport
Oliver's Mill, Newport Lane
Photo: Courtesy Google

Burslem - Middleport
Olivers Mill, Newport Lane
Photo: Andy Perkin, Potteries Heritage Society  Date June 2019

Burslem - Middleport 
Olivers Mill, Newport Lane
Looking up inside the rectangular kiln chimney
Photo: Andy Perkin, Potteries Heritage Society  Date June 2019

Three kilns exist on site. One bottle shaped called 'Jumbo' with a capacity of 30 tons of flint. The other two share one rectangular chimney and they are called 'Middle and Office'. The capacity is 24 tons of flint, each. Metals doors close each firing chamber. They worked on a 3 day firing cycle. The ovens were built by Oliver & Sons in 1909 and last used around 1964/66 when the Clean Air Act came into full force.


Middleport Mill, Milvale Street   
[6a] Location* : what3words.com/noted.ruler.gravy

Former calcining works. Mainly early 19th Century. The kiln is rectangular square in section, with two flues separated only at the apex. Two firing chambers.

Burslem - Middleport
Calcining kilns, Milvale Street
Photo: Courtesy Google 

In 1907 this mill was Goodwin's Mill Co. (Middleport Mill) used for preparing flint, and other potters materials. These are flint calcining kilns with two firing chambers. Alongside the Trent & Mersey Canal


Moorcroft, Sandbach Road, Cobridge  
[8a] Location* : what3words.com/congratulations.crew.thinks

The first pieces of fine art pottery from Moorcroft were created in 1897.  Designed by William Moorcroft, a graduate of what is now the Royal College of Art in London, his new art pottery was very popular from the outset and stocked by such prestigious stores as Liberty of London, Harrods and Tiffany & Co. in New York.  Early Moorcroft is now much sought after.
https://www.moorcroft.com/

Burslem - Cobridge
Moorcroft
Photo by Sid Meir, courtesy Ian Mood Date: c1970

Burslem - Cobridge
Moorcroft
Photo: courtesy Julian Read Collection Date: April 2017


According to Zoe Sutherland in 2021 (Ceramic Heritage Action Zone Project Officer, Stoke-on-Trent City Council) the bottle oven here has the smallest firing chamber of all those in the Potteries at only 3.35m or 11 feet in diameter.

This small bottle oven  is open to the public. It is in remarkably good condition and has obviously been well cared for. It is now a visitor attraction alongside the Moorcroft museum and shop.

This updraught, 'skeleton type', oven was built in 1919 as a biscuit oven - glost firing taking place in two similar ovens which were on site prior to their demolition in 1956. This oven was last fired in 1959. It stands 60ft high, with firing chamber diameter of approx 11ft and internal height to the shoulder of the crown approx 13ft.

The gap between the outer chimney and the inner firing chamber, found on all skeleton type ovens, is around 9" wide. The ironwork surrounding the tall wicket entrance is remarkably well constructed with 1" thick cast iron.

Burslem - Cobridge
Moorcroft
Wicket, bonts and 1" thick ironwork
Photo: Terry Woolliscroft Collection  Date: June 2019
The oven has just six firemouths complete with their bags. Under the domed floor, flues connect the firemouths to the central well hole. Original bonts and firedoors remain in place. The regulator holes, spy holes and trial holes have no metal work attached to them.

Moorcroft bottle oven
One of the six firemouths
Photo: Terry Woolliscroft Collection  Date: June 2019




The domed crown has a central crown damper and three quarter dampers, together with shoulder holes.

Moorcroft bottle oven
Looking up at the crown of the oven from
inside the firing chamber
Photo: Terry Woolliscroft Collection  Date: June 2019


Inside the dimly and atmospheric firing chamber are examples of saggars and 'osses. Well worth a visit.

Moorcroft bottle oven
Bag, saggars and 'osses
Photo: Terry Woolliscroft Collection  Date: June 2019



* what3words is an app which gives every 3x3 square metre of the globe a unique 3-word address. This simple and accurate way to describe an address has made it easy it easy to inform the location of Potteries bottle ovens and kilns. Many thanks go to Andy Perkin of the Potteries Heritage Society for researching and providing the what3words used here.